domingo, 16 de septiembre de 2012

Chiles en Nogada


Chiles en Nogada 

One of the most well-know Mexican dishes is Chiles en Nogada. This piece of the Mexican cuisine is famous for its sauce and its decoration which remembers the colours of the Mexican flag: green from the Poblano Chile, white from the sauce made with Nogada Walnut, and red from the pomegranate.
This dish was invented in Puebla, Mexico. It is said that the first Chile en Nogada was served to Agustin de Iturbide, first emperor of Mexico.

What’s special on this dish?

Well, that is a very simple question to answer: the flavour. In my personal opinion, the Chile Relleno variety is very tasty, but Chile en Nogada is the king of the Chile Relleno valley. There are a lot of ways to prepare Chile Relleno: stuffed with cheese (most popular), with meat or even with seafood.
The most outstanding ingredient of this preparation is the sauce. This sauce is unique and is only cooked for this dish in special.
While the stuffing, as I already said, can be as simple as a thick slice of cheese, for the Chile en Nogada, the stuffing is nothing but a complex mixture of ingredients such as pork meat, beef meat, apple, peach, acitrón (typical Mexican candy), raisins, almonds, and a variety of spices.

When and where can I eat it?

You can eat it in Mexico. We all know that food outside of their native countries is really bad, like the Tacos in USA or Chinese food outside China. It is due to the lack of ingredients. They are not easy to find, a fine example is this kind of chilli.
This dish’s resemblance to the Mexican flag makes it a very popular meal in August and September since this moths are close from the Mexican Independence day (September 16).
I had the chance to eat it at Hosteria Santo Domingo. This happened only by a twist of destiny: My father accompanied me to sign in for my Chinese course, and when we finished with all the paper work it was about dinner time, so we were really hungry. Then, my father remembered that one of his colleagues told him about a place where you can eat Chile en Nogada thought the year, and not only on September. Anyway, we walked a few blocks in order to get to the Belisario Dominguez street, only some yards away from the Plaza de Santo Domingo, in the core of downtown.
I was skeptical at first. By the time I saw a big wooden sculpture, resembling a French chef, my father sighted because we had found the restaurant. I thought it would be a small restaurant, but I changed my mind when I paced inside the building. I heard a beautiful piece of music that was played life. Soon the hostess received us and she gave us a table. The fist thing I noticed in the menu was the price of the Chile en Nogada, almost 250 pesos!, but that did not matter at all: I felt the urge of tasting this tasty dish once for all, so I ordered it.
Some minutes passed and then the waiter came and first, he served my dad a nice filet, and then he served me a HUGE Chile en Nogada. I had never seen something that big in my life. I feared not to end with it, since while my father and I were waiting, we ordered one Quesadilla, which was also very tasty.
About this Chile en Nogada, I was so surprised, but either way I had to eat it all, so I started to eat. With only the first bite, I felt in heaven. It was a very delicious Chile en Nogada. Not the best I have tasted, but surely it is set in my top 3 list.
About this large dish, I finished it. I have a big stomach. 
I highly recommend this restaurant, even though it is not in a very famous location, you can find some famous people, rich people and tourists. The meal is well accompanied with singers and music in life that, of course, play Mexican songs.
You are can get there from the subway station Zócalo, or by Metrobus.
For further information, you can click on this link:
http://www.hosteriadesantodomingo.com.mx

Follow me at @jckrls4688 and share it with your friends!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario